On Saturday I hiked in the Bucegi Mountains with a group of peace corps trainees led by our language instructors, Simona and Raluca. We hiked to a monument commemorating WWI known as "Crucea Eroilor Neamului" or "Crucea de pe Caraiman". The monument was built atop Caraiman Mountain (Muntele Caraiman) at an altitude of 2291 m. The base has a height of 15m and the cross itself has a height of 30m. The construction of the monument started in 1926 and ended in 1929.




Crucea de pe Caraiman

Me on the edge

Four Ohioans

Group 26 hikers + Simona and Raluca

Some donkeys by a rock formation.

The Sphinx is one of the rock formations naturally carved by wind erosion.
Wicked sweet! Are you on vacation or in the Peace Corps? -John
ReplyDeleteThese pictures are BA. I wish I was there.
ReplyDeleteCourtney, the pictures are beautiful and I am so glad you have the opportunity to see a different part of the world. I am enjoying Romania through your adventures.
ReplyDeletecourtney, i can't believe you stood that close to the edge of the cliff! you may fall off!!
ReplyDelete